The following instructions are for completing a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). Certain offices handle their own FOIA requests. Those offices are the Knox County Sheriff , Knox County Circuit Clerk, and the Knox County Health Department. You will need to contact those offices directly with your request.
- Please make your request for records in writing. We do not require the completion of a standard form, however, a standard form can be acquired from the County Clerk’s office. You may submit your request by mail, fax, or e-mail to :
Scott G. Erickson – Knox County Clerk
Knox County Courthouse
200 South Cherry Street
Galesburg, IL 61401
- Please be as specific as possible when describing the records you are requesting. The Freedom of Information Act is designed to allow you to inspect or receive copies of records. It does not require the public body to answer questions. If you are wanting to ask a question, please contact that particular office directly for the information. Please be aware that there are certain records that are covered by the Freedom of Information Act.
- If you are requesting a copy of a record, please indicate if you are requesting to just inspect the record in person or if you require a copy of the record. The manner in which you request a response will not affect the response from the County.
- The fees for records under the FOIA are as follows:
- First 50 pages of standard paper copies are provided at no charge.
- For pages beyond the first 50 pages, the charge is $0.15 per page for black and white copies and $0.25 per page for color copies.
- Digital media can be provided at the actual cost of the media.
- Certification of record is available at a charge of $1.00 per record to be certified.
- You are permitted to ask for a waiver of the copying fees. To do so, please include the following statement (or a similar statement) in your written request: “I request a waiver of all fees associated with this request.” You must also include a specific explanation as to why you are requesting the fee waiver. Requests for fee waivers will be reviewed and the final decision will be provided in writing to you.
- Please include your name, preferred telephone number, mailing address, and e-mail address (if you are requesting an electronic response).